EDUCATIONUniversity of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., cum laude
CLERKSHIPSHon. Jerome B. Simandle (D.N.J.)
Judd Grossman is the Founder and Managing Partner of Grossman LLP. Judd’s clients include high-net-worth individuals, art galleries and advisors, businesses, and institutions in a wide variety of matters, including art-related disputes, commercial cases, and securities litigation.
- Successfully representing buyers seeking to recover purchase price of stolen Jasper Johns artworks. See Equinox Gallery Ltd. v. Dorfman, 17 Civ. 230 (GBD), 2018 WL 745707 (S.D.N.Y. Jan. 25, 2018) (denying motion to dismiss federal RICO and fraud claims); Kolodny v. Meyer, et al., Case No. 14-cv-03354 (VSB) (S.D.N.Y.).
- Obtaining total victory in lawsuit by Madonna against her former art advisor to enjoin sale of Tupac letter and other memorabilia. See Ciccone v. Gotta Have It! Collectibles, Inc., et al., Case No. 156454/2017 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co.).
- Obtaining summary judgment for Peter Beard in an action to recover three of the artist’s original works. See Beard v. Chase, 56 Misc.3d 1202(A), 63 N.Y.S.3d 304 (Sup. Ct. N.Y. Co. June 19, 2017).
- Representing real-estate developers in a litigation involving a major mixed-use high-rise building located in Manhattan’s Hudson Yards.
- Prosecuting securities-fraud claims on behalf of investors in a $100-million Ponzi scheme. See Nagelberg v. Meli, et al., Case No. 17-cv-2524 (LLS) (S.D.N.Y.).
- Representing numerous art collectors in a series of lawsuits arising from a multi-million dollar, international art fraud.
- Successfully representing national referral agency in a “bet the company” litigation concerning the employment classification of thousands of independent contractors.
- Representing television personality in an employment-discrimination lawsuit against NBC.
- Counseling contemporary art museum concerning major Jean-Michel Basquiat exhibition.
- Representing investment bank in connection with claims against a major technology company for payment of outstanding fees under an advisory agreement.
- Advising prominent artists’ foundations in connection with catalogues raisonnés projects.
- Successfully defending auction house in connection with the sale of forged artwork.
- Litigating art-forgery case against the Knoedler Gallery arising from the $17 million sale of a counterfeit Jackson Pollock painting.
- Representing prominent New York art gallery in a lawsuit against a Carnegie Museum trustee arising from the sale of a Peter Doig painting.
Judd previously was Counsel in the securities-litigation practice group of O’Melveny & Myers LLP, before joining the Dontzin Law Firm LLP, an international litigation boutique. He graduated cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania, where he also received his law degree. Following law school, he served as a law clerk to the Hon. Jerome B. Simandle, U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Judd formerly served as the Chair of NYCLA’s Art Law Committee, and he is a member of the New York City Bar Association’s Art Law Committee. Judd has consistently been named a New York Super Lawyers “Rising Star” for Litigation. And he regularly is invited to speak on art-law topics, including at the University of Pennsylvania Law School, the NYU Art Crime Symposium, NYCLA’s Art Law Day, and the 2018 International Bar Association annual conference in Rome, Italy. Judd regularly offers commentary regarding art-law matters on television and in major news publications, including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, CNBC, and the Art Newspaper, among many others.
Judd is on the board of Lincoln Center Education, and previously he served on the Board of Directors of Urban Arts Partnership. He lives in Manhattan with his wife, Meredith, who is an attending physician in the Pediatrics Department of Mount Sinai Hospital, and their two daughters.